Difference Between MDX and MDX Sport Hybrid
The Acura MDX is one of the industry’s most sought-after luxury 3-row crossovers, and that it comes in a hybrid version only makes it even more appealing. Compare the Acura MDX vs. the Acura MDX Sport Hybrid to figure out which one of these acclaimed luxury 3-row Acura models will be right for you.
Acura MDX vs. Acura MDX Sport Hybrid: Prices and Trims
It’s smart to start with starting prices when you’re comparing any two vehicles, including the Acura MDX and Acura MDX Sport Hybrid.
Options for the standard 2020 Acura MDX include:
- 2020 Acura MDX Standard: Priced at $44,400 MSRP with FWD or $46,400 MSRP with SH‑AWD®*.
- 2020 Acura MDX Technology Package: Priced at $49,400 MSRP with FWD or $51,400 MSRP with SH‑AWD®*.
- 2020 Acura MDX A-SPEC Package: Priced at $54,900 MSRP* with SH-AWD*
- 2020 Acura MDX Advance Package: Priced at $56,150 MSRP with Front-Wheel Drive or $58,150 MSRP with SH‑AWD®*.
- 2020 Acura MDX Entertainment Package: Priced at $53,400 with the Technology Package or $60,150 with the Advance Package*.
Options for the 2020 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid include:
- 2020 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD with Technology Package: Priced at $53,000 MSRP*
- 2020 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD with Advance Package: Priced at $59,750 MSRP*
Acura MDX vs. Acura MDX Sport Hybrid: Performance & Efficiency
Clearly power and MPG specs are going to represent the main difference between the standard Acura MDX and the Sport Hybrid, so we’ve put together everything you need to know.
The standard Acura MDX uses a 3.5L V6 and 9-Speed Automatic with Sequential SportShift Paddle Shifters to deliver:
- Up to 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque
- Up to an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway with front-wheel drive models**
- Up to an EPA-estimated 19 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway with SH-AWD models**
It’s a cutting-edge powertrain able to excel whether you’re crawling through the city or opening it up on the highway, but those seeking truly next-generation performance may find themselves more attracted to the MDX Sport Hybrid.
It pairs a 257 hp 3.0L V6 with one 47 hp electric motor located in the transmission housing and two additional 36 hp motors mounted side by side between your rear wheels. During hard acceleration, they combine to produce up to 321 hp. A Motor-Integrated 7-Speed DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) holds the next gear up or down preloaded for instant seamless shifting and exceptional efficiency.
- Up to an EPA-estimated 26 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway**
Acura MDX vs. Acura MDX Sport Hybrid: Standard and Available Features
Only the non-hybrid MDX is available in the standard configuration, which provides the following features:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™)
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) System
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) System
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) System
- Premium Leather Upholstery
- 12-Way Power Front Seats with Power Lumbar Support
- Heated Front Seats
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™
The Acura MDX Sport Hybrid starts with the Technology Package, which includes:
- GPS-Linked Climate Control
- Blind Spot Information (BSI) System
- Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
- Acura/ELS Studio® Premium Audio System
- Acura Navigation System with 3D View
Only the non-Hybrid offers the Entertainment Package and A-Spec® Package, but both offer the Advance Package for the following features:
- Roof Rails
- Auto-Dimming Side Mirrors
- Surround-View Camera System
- Active Damper System
- 4-Mode Integrated Dynamics System (IDS)
Test Drive the 2020 MDX and the MDX Sport Hybrid
So, what is the Acura MDX Sport Hybrid? It’s essentially the same as the standard model, only with a couple of trim levels lost and even more phenomenal performance and MPG specs gained. You can find out more and take advantage of current specials by visiting your local Chicagoland Acura dealer today. For any further assistance, feel free to contact us directly.
*Prices shown are Acura suggested retail prices only and do not include taxes, license or destination and handling charge. Destination & Handling charge for sedans (excluding PMC Edition) and SUVs (excluding PMC Edition) is $1,025.00. Destination & Handling charge for PMC Edition models and NSX is $1,995.00. Acura vehicle accessory costs, labor and installation vary. Dealers set their own prices. Please consult your selected dealer.
**Based on 2020 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary, depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery pack age/condition (hybrid only) and other factors.