How Acura’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD System Works
It sets the 2017 Acura RLX and 2017 Acura NSX apart from other cars on the road and is coming soon to the MDX. Now’s the time to learn how Acura’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system works—it’s unlike anything else on the market. While many luxury sedans, sports cars, and crossovers are available with all-wheel drive, how many can say that their AWD system delivers improved fuel economy and the benefits of a hybrid?
Read on to find out how a hybrid powertrain brings you improved power, torque, performance, and fuel economy with Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive.
Three Electric Motors Working Together
The key to the Acura Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system is that Acura engineers realized they could give the vehicle a boost to power and performance by adding electric motors into the mix. While other hybrid cars are engineered toward fuel economy—often to the detriment of performance—when the new 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD hits the streets, it will be both more powerful and more efficient.
Here’s how it works:
- The engine and one electric motor are in the front, governed by a traditional transmission design.
- Two electric motors are located in the rear, one for each wheel, giving the feeling that they are glued to the road even during tight turns.
- Separate rear wheel motors let the RLX wheels operate independently to better drive through and launch out of curves.
- Three electric motors work with the gasoline engine for improved specs: The 2017 RLX has a 310-hp 3.5L V6 with 272 lb-ft of torque; the RLX Sport Hybrid offers a combined output of 377 hp and 341 lb-ft of torque.
- The hybrid design requires less work from the engine; the 2017 RLX, for example, earns an EPA-estimated 30 highway and 20 city mpg while the RLX Sport Hybrid is rated at an EPA-estimated 30 highway and 29 city mpg.*
Take a Test Drive
The Acura Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system is coming soon to the MDX, but you can see it in person on a test drive of the latest RLX Sport Hybrid or the NSX. Visit a Chicagoland Acura Dealer near you today to get behind the wheel of one of these vehicles and experience the future of all-wheel drive.
*Based on 2017 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary, depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery pack age/condition (hybrid only), and other factors.