The 2017 Acura RLX Safety Features
Visibility Safety Features
Driving safely often means having greater visibility of your vehicle’s surroundings. There are many features in the Technology Package that add to greater visibility, including:
A multi-view rear camera with dynamic guidelines
Blind spot information system
Auto-on/off headlights with wiper integration
The Advance Package includes all the visibility features of the Technology Package and adds an additional surround-view camera system for even better visibility.
Both the Technology Package and Advance Package offer a suite of technology that falls under the umbrella of AcuraWatch. It is made up of innovative driving aids that make the road experience safer and helps drivers stay informed so they can make better decisions, judgments, and actions behind the wheel.
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow: Cruise control is a helpful tool on long highway trips, and Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow makes the feature even better and more adaptive to the RLX’s surroundings. Simply set the desired speed and a short, medium, or long distance interval from a vehicle ahead. This system will balance the speed with the distance and engage the brakes or pump up the acceleration to keep the RLX steadily cruising, even in light traffic conditions.
- Lane Keeping Assist System: This system works to keep the RLX in the center of detected lane lines. If there is movement or sway across lines without the driver’s intention, it will tug at the wheel to steer it back on course.
- Road Departure Mitigation: This system can detect if the RLX is about to dangerously head off the road and will alert the driver with a warning message on the multi-information display between the gauges, and an amber head-up warning; it can even tighten the seat belts. To supplement the warnings if they go unheeded, this system can also use the active steering function to guide the RLX safely back on the road or apply the brakes in order to avoid a collision.
- Collision Mitigation Braking System with Head-up Warning: This system works with a radar transmitter in the grille of the RLX that can detect vehicles or objects directly ahead and determine distance and speed. If a vehicle or object is detected, a head-up warning will be issued as well as light braking. On RLX models with Advance Package, there will also be an additional tug on the driver’s seat belt. If a frontal collision is perceived as unpreventable, strong automatic braking is engaged to help reduce the impact.
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure: This system also helps mitigate impact in the case of frontal impacts. The design’s structure can absorb and distribute crash energy more evenly throughout the front of the vehicle, keeping everyone inside safer.
- Stability Assist with Traction Control and Motion Adaptive Steering: This system monitors vehicle speed, throttle position, individual wheel speeds, steering angle, and more in order to correct oversteering or understeering. It can reduce torque and apply brakes to each individual wheel to help stabilize the vehicle.
- LATCH Child Seat System: Lower anchors and tethers allow drivers to install child seats securely, properly, and easily.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Location and Pressure Indicators: Pressure sensors in each of the wheels monitors tire pressure. If a tire gets too low, an alert will pop up on the multi-information display between the gauges, notifying the driver which wheel is affected, along with a pressure reading of all four tires.
- Theft-Deterrent System with Electronic Immobilizer: This system is enacted in the event of a break-in and disables the ignition. The horn will also sound and lights will flash. Through the AcuraLink system, you will be notified via your smartphone. And if the RLX is stolen, its location can be tracked.
Other features that come as a part of AcuraWatch include:
- Tire Sealant and Repair Kit
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- Side-Impact Door Beams
- Hill Start Assist