Does the 2016 BMW 5 Series Horsepower Offer Adequate Engine Muscle?
When shopping for a luxury car, one of the elements discerning motorists highly prize is engine power.
In exploring currently available luxury models, drivers are likely to wonder about the 2016 BMW 5 Series horsepower. Does this model offer optimum engine muscle—or does a competitor like the 2016 Acura RLX bring greater might and more ponies under the hood?
Keep reading, and we’ll explore the performance offerings of both of these luxury cars side by side and reveal which nameplate offers more power under the hood.
Power certainly matters when you’re purchasing a vehicle, and in terms of engine muscle, the Acura RLX is the clear winner over the BMW 5 Series.
The RLX is powered by a 3.5L direct injection V6 engine, which produces an impressive 310 hp and 272 lb-ft of torque.
In contrast, the BMW 5 Series features a 2.0L TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder engine that generates only 240 hp and just 260 lb-ft of torque.
The RLX lineup additionally offers hybrid models that are powered by a three-motor system, which delivers 377 total system hp and 341 lb-ft of total system torque.
The RLX delivers big in other ways, too, when compared to the BMW 5 Series.
Luxury car shoppers naturally expect premium amenities in their new vehicle, and the RLX offers far more in the realm of features at the base-model price than the 5 Series does.
Various amenities come standard in the base-model RLX that are either not available at all in the 5 Series base trim or are only offered as an optional upgrade for a higher cost. Included among them are:
- Satellite radio (only available as an optional upgrade in the 5 Series)
- Noise cancellation (not available in the 5 Series)
- Adaptive cruise control (only available as an optional upgrade in the 5 Series)
- Rearview camera (only available as an optional upgrade in the 5 Series)
- Leather seats (only available as an optional upgrade in the 5 Series)
- Heated front seats (only available as an optional upgrade in the 5 Series)
- LED headlights (only available as an optional upgrade in the 5 Series)
See for Yourself
Drivers can take a closer look at the outstanding 2016 Acura RLX at any Chicagoland Acura Dealers location. Visit or contact one of our associated dealerships today to learn more about the RLX and take it for a test drive.